first_imgVOICE of sport Charlie Collins has joined forces with Letterkenny businessman Enda Nicholls in a bid to oust Highland Radio off the airwaves, it has emerged.The Sunday Times reports that Collins, who quit Highland earlier this year, is part of a consortium with the owner of Arena 7 entertainment complex which is bidding to win the license to broadcast in north Donegal from next year.Until now the only person named in the consortium is Inishowen businessman Paddy Simpson who has extensive business interests including Derry’s version of Arena 7 on the city’s Buncrana Road. Mr Collins worked at Highland for 22 years.Friends say he left the station where he worked as general manager and head of sport.That position was later given to presenter Shaun Doherty.The consortium would put the station back in the hands of Donegal people. It is currently owned by a Galway family. However Highland has vowed to fight to keep the license to broadcast for another ten years.* For all the latest breaking news online – www.donegaldaily.com CHARLIE COLLINS JOINS ARENA 7 BOSS IN BID TO PUT HIGHLAND RADIO OFF AIR was last modified: August 27th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Charlie CollinsHighland Radiopaddy simpsonlast_img read more

first_imgJoey Barton took to Twitter to praise both sets of fans after QPR’s 1-0 defeat at Newcastle.Rangers’ former Magpies midfielder was given a warm welcome back to St James’ Park, where Moussa Sissoko’s goal gave the home side victory.Barton tweeted: “Gutted with the result. Felt it was a very even game. Great to be back at SJP and thanks for the reception, it meant a lot.“Also big shout to all QPR a fans who travelled up from West London. Sorry we couldn’t send you back on that long journey happier.”Barton also tweeted his support for Newcastle’s Ryan Taylor, who recently returned after a long spell out of action only to suffer another injury during the game.Barton declared: “Hope @TaylorR1984 is ok. If anyone deserves a bit of luck it’s him. #perspective .”Gutted with the result. Felt it was a very even game. Great to be back at SJP and thanks for the reception, it meant a lot.— Joseph Barton (@Joey7Barton) November 22, 2014Rangers striker Charlie Austin added: “Tough to come back from that game with nothing. Safe trip back to our fans, class today as usual.”QPR’s defeat plus Burnley’s win at Stoke meant Harry Redknapp’s side returned to the bottom of the Premier League.They now face a crucial home match against fellow strugglers Leicester next weekend.R’s defender Rio Ferdinand tweeted: “Huge game next week vs Leicester City….3points is a must…. 6pointer #cliche train hard play hard #mantra.”Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

first_img1 June 2011 The stalled Doha round of trade negotiations is “in intensive care” and won’t be concluded this year, although a plan B to support trade to least developed countries is on the cards, Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies said on Monday. Addressing a media briefing in Pretoria on Monday ahead of a meeting of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) trade negotiation committee in Geneva on Tuesday, Davies said that although the bulk of WTO members were not willing to declare Doha dead, the view was that it is “in intensive care.” He added that South Africa would be a net-payer and not net beneficiary if the current Doha round were to go ahead, and that at a recent WTO ministerial meeting in Paris last week, members had decided not to set a time limit on the current Doha round. Davies said at the beginning of the year that 2011 had been defined as a “window of opportunity” to conclude the Doha round, but that this now looked unlikely, given that the year was halfway through.Smaller ‘plan B’ package mooted He said there was a sense among WTO members that carrying on as normal wouldn’t work, adding that trade ministers at a ministerial conference in December last year had mooted a plan B, part of which could be delivered by the end of the year. This would be an attempt to deliver results in a “smaller package”, but would leave out more controversial trade measures such as agriculture, services and industrial tariffs. The smaller package would include trade facilitation measures such as customs co-operation, as well as measures in export competition in agriculture, non-tariff barriers in industrial tariffs, rules about regional trade agreements and fishing subsidies, Davies said. The primary focus would be to deliver trade benefits to countries from the least developed world, he said, adding that these had been promised for delivery in 2008, but had yet to come about. This would take the shape of some form of duty-free access into economies of the developed world, such as a package of aid for trade, assisting in particular cotton growers in countries of the Sahel region, such as Burkina Faso and Chad. He said there was a perception from some WTO members that large developing nations such as India, Brazil, China as well as South Africa, should no longer be referred to as developing countries. But Davies said this was “not factual” and that even though some countries have had good gross domestic product (GDP) growth, they were effectively still developing nations.The so-called Swiss formula He said the most recent approach to the Doha trade round was the use of the so-called Swiss formula, where countries affected cuts in tariffs on products, line-by-line. But he said what was proposed by the WTO on April 21 was not enough. The idea was that after these formula cuts had been made, further cuts would be then made in the form of “sectorals” – which South Africa has viewed as voluntary cuts. But Davies, who indicated that South Africa would not be participating in any sectorals, pointed out that other WTO members had argued that unless the organisation made it compulsory for all members to make tariff cuts quid-pro-quota, there was no point in having sectorals.African free trade area South Africa, he said, would rather focus on deepening trade on the African continent and by doing so, help to open up trade to more least-developed countries. The conclusion of a grand free trade area between the Southern African Development Community (SADC), Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (Comesa) and the East African Community (EAC) would go some way to achieving this, Davies said, especially as the three communities had a combined gross domestic product of $833-billion (R5.7-trillion) and a combined population of 530-million. The three regional economic communities will hold a meeting in South Africa in less than two weeks’ time. South Africa’s membership of the Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa (BRICS) grouping also offered the African country “huge opportunities” to develop itself along a different pattern of relationships, Davies said. He said though he believes a multilateral trade system would not disappear any time soon, he believed the world was perhaps not ready at this stage to deliver a multilateral developmental round. Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Some plants don’t have much of a root system while others show a beautiful root system with no shoot.  What is going on? In each case I have looked at this year, each farmer was using more than 30 pounds of total nitrogen (N) (28% plus 10-34-0) and/or sulfur in a 2×2 system. These reduced stands appear to be caused by fertilizer injury burn.Urea ammonium nitrate (28% UAN) is made up of 50% urea, 25% ammonium, and 25% nitrate. When urea volatilizes, it turns into ammonia (the same type of ammonia in anhydrous ammonia) and is lost to the air. That’s why we need to work in urea (or stabilize it) within a few days after application if we are using it as a N source. As a starter, stabilizing N is not recommended and is not normally a problem.So what made urea volatilize faster this year?Volatility of urea is microbial driven, so warmer temperatures make this reaction occur more quickly. Urea can volatilize within two days in warmer temperatures. If the corn plant took up water slower (due to drying conditions, soil type, or planting depth), then the root system looks burned. If the plant took up water more quickly, then the root system developed and the coleoptile was burned off.Soils that are drying out cause the ammonia gas to move away from the 2×2 band, so moist soils followed by drying conditions cause more volatility. This is the same reason why anhydrous ammonia is injected 7 to 8 inches deep, because the ammonia gas will move up from the point of injection until it hits water. As the soil dries the ammonia will move up faster.Urea volatility is enhanced by higher pH. Unfortunately, the conditions that cause us to have higher yields can also increase volatility (both are due to enhanced microbial activity).Higher rates of N in a 2×2 band has the potential to volatilize more anhydrous, thus causing more burn. This, along with higher temperatures and drying soils, is the reason why farmers who are applying higher rates of a starter may see more damage.last_img read more

first_imgTags:#Government#Location#web After five years of interagency collaboration and thousands of points of public communication, a new standard data format for adresses, thoroughfares and landmarks has been approved by the final agency acronym it needs to be in order for the project to reach its culmination. This seems like it could be huge news in a world where mobile location apps are set to define the future of the computing user experience – but for some reason the standard seems mired in government circles with little comment or enthusiasm from the private sector.The Steering Committee of the Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) has endorsed the United States Thoroughfare, Landmark and Postal Address Data Standard, a product of the Committee’s Address Standard Working Group. What does that mean? It means it’s now possible to start referring to adresses, streets and landmarks with the knowledge that everyone will refer to them in the same way. The standard was developed with the use of drafts posted online in wiki format and received thousands of edits and comments from stakeholders. Each data point in the standard format includes address data content, classification, transfer history and a measure of its quality. It will be maintained by the US Census.“The United States Thoroughfare, Landmark, and Postal Address Data Standard will have a significant impact at all levels of government and is an essential component of the National Spatial Data Infrastructure,” said Ivan DeLoatch, Executive Director of the FGDC in the group’s announcement of the standard’s completion. “We encourage government agencies, as well as others, to implement the standard for it provides a foundation for understanding and developing solutions for the many challenges in our communities.”We’ll see if that happens. Hopefully it won’t just be government agencies and it won’t take another five years.None of the hundreds of geotechnology blogs we follow have mentioned the standard beyond a few reposts of the press release. None of the hundreds of geotech specialists that follow our dedicated Geo Twitter account responded to our request for comment on today’s news. None of the geo developers we communicate with regularly had any response to our request for comment. It’s a little depressing. Related Posts Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai…center_img 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… marshall kirkpatricklast_img read more

first_imgPune: A former soldier and his wife and children were found brutally murdered in Shevgaon village in Ahmednagar district, 200 km from here, on Sunday morning.According to the police, the murders occurred between midnight and the early hours of Sunday. The victims, Appasaheb Govind Harvane (58), his wife, Sunanda (48), their daughter, Snehal (18), and son, Makarand (15), bore multiple knife wounds, the Shevgaon police.The incident came to light after the milkman, finding no response to his calls, alerted the family’s neighbours.Motive unclear“The motive behind the killings is yet to be ascertained. We are investigating whether it was a botched robbery or some family rivalry. However, none of the valuables appear to be touched … but it is too early to say anything,” inspector Suresh Sakpale of the Shevgaon police station told The Hindu.After completing his service in the Army, Harvane worked as a security guard with the district land records office, according to sources.last_img read more

first_imgThe Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed a plea challenging the Allahabad High Court verdict rejecting a petition seeking direction to Uttar Pradesh Police to lodge an FIR against former Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav for his alleged order to open fire on ‘kar sewaks’ at Ayodhya in 1990. A Bench, comprising Justices Ashok Bhushan and K.M. Joseph, dismissed the plea on the ground of delay considering the fact that appeal has been filed against the May 3, 2016, order of the High Court. The plea had alleged that on October 30, 1990, several ‘kar sewaks’ were killed in police firing at the temple town when they were taking part in a “peaceful movement” for the construction of a Ram Temple there. The plea was filed by a Lucknow-based man, who had in 2014 approached a trial court for a direction to the police to lodge an FIR against Mr. Yadav, who was the Chief Minister of U.P. in 1990. He had alleged that the Samajwadi Party leader had given a statement in public meetings that he had ordered the police to fire on ‘kar sewaks’ to win the confidence of Muslims. The trial court had dismissed his plea after which he had moved the High Court challenging the order. In his appeal filed in the top court, the petitioner had claimed, “The High Court failed to appreciate that in a huge public gathering, Mulayam Singh Yadav, has confessed/ admitted that he ordered to fire guns on ‘kar sewaks’ and he further admitted in the second public meeting that if he did not order to fire on kar sewaks then the confidence of Muslims would be broken.”last_img read more