first_imgThe documents were released Friday night, a few hours after Sampson agreed to testify at a Senate inquiry next week into the firings of eight U.S. attorneys last year. Asked to explain the difference between Gonzales’ comments and his schedule, Justice spokesman Brian Roehrkasse largely sidestepped the question by saying the attorney general had relied on Sampson to draw up the firing plans. “The attorney general has made clear that he charged Mr. Sampson with directing a plan to replace U.S. attorneys where for one reason or another the department believed that we could do better,” Roehrkasse said. “He was not, however, involved at the levels of selecting the particular U.S. attorneys who would be replaced.” Democrats pounce Gonzales this week directed the Justice Department’s Office of Professional Responsibility to investigate the circumstances of the firings, officials said. The department’s inspector general also will participate in that investigation. Nonetheless Democrats pounced late Friday. “If the facts bear out that Attorney General Gonzales knew much more about the plan than he has previously admitted, then he can no longer serve as attorney general,” said Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, who is heading the Senate’s investigation into the firings. Added House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers: “This puts the attorney general front and center in these matters, contrary to information that had previously been provided to the public and Congress.” Presidential spokesman Trey Bohn referred questions to the Justice Department, saying White House officials had not seen the documents. The developments were not what Republicans, skittish about new revelations, had hoped. Earlier Friday, a staunch White House ally, Sen. John Cornyn, summoned White House counsel Fred Fielding to Capitol Hill and told him he wanted “no surprises.” “I told him, `Everything you can release, please release. We need to know what the facts are,”‘ Cornyn said. Sampson will appear Thursday at a hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee, his attorney said. His appearance will mark the first congressional testimony by a Justice Department aide since the release of thousands of documents that show the firings were orchestrated, in part, by the White House. Sampson “looks forward to answering the committee’s questions,” wrote his attorney, Brad Berenson, in a two-paragraph letter to committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., and the panel’s top Republican, Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania. “We trust that his decision to do so will satisfy the need of the Congress to obtain information from him concerning the requested resignations of the United States attorneys,” Berenson wrote.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The documents indicated that the hourlong morning discussion, held in the attorney general’s conference room, was the only time Gonzales met with top aides who decided which prosecutors to fire and how to do it. Justice spokeswoman Tasia Scolinos said it was not immediately clear whether Gonzales gave his final approval to begin the firings at that meeting. Scolinos also said Gonzales was not involved in the process of selecting which prosecutors would be asked to resign. On March 13, in explaining the firings, Gonzales told reporters he was aware that some of the dismissals were being discussed but was not involved in them. “I knew my chief of staff was involved in the process of determining who were the weak performers – where were the districts around the country where we could do better for the people in that district, and that’s what I knew,” Gonzales said last week. “But that is in essence what I knew about the process; was not involved in seeing any memos, was not involved in any discussions about what was going on. That’s basically what I knew as the attorney general.” Later, he added: “I accept responsibility for everything that happens here within this department. But when you have 110,000 people working in the department, obviously there are going to be decisions that I’m not aware of in real time. Many decisions are delegated.” WASHINGTON – Attorney General Alberto Gonzales approved plans to fire several U.S. attorneys in a November meeting, according to documents released Friday that contradict earlier claims that he was not closely involved in the dismissals. The Nov. 27 meeting, in which the attorney general and at least five top Justice Department officials participated, focused on a five-step plan for carrying out the firings of the prosecutors, Justice Department officials said late Friday. There, Gonzales signed off on the plan, which was crafted by his chief of staff, Kyle Sampson. Sampson resigned last week amid a political firestorm surrounding the firings. The five-step plan involved notifying Republican home-state senators of the impending dismissals, preparing for potential political upheaval and naming replacements and submitting them to the Senate for confirmation. last_img

first_imgThis year’s RunDonegal Women’s 5K has raised €7,513 for the Brid Carr Ovarian Cancer Research Fund.The event, which was hosted by Finn Valley AC on Sunday, March 31st, had an entry of 706 – the second biggest number of participants since the race was established.The proceeds from the 2019 Run Donegal Women’s 5K were presented to the family of the late Brid Carr – a native of Glencolmcille who died from ovarian in 2014 aged 54. She had been living in London with her family when she passed away. This was the third year the Brid Carr Fund was selected as the main beneficiary from the Run Donegal Women’s 5K – it also benefitted in 2015 and 2017.Speaking at the cheque presentation in the Finn Valley Centre, Patsy McGonagle of Finn Valley AC, said the event was a great success again this year.“We had over 700 competing and we’ll try to build on that. The organisation was great. Events like the RunDonegal Women’s 5K are good for women and good for awareness. It’s such a positive thing. If somebody had told me 30 or 40 years ago that there would be over 700 women running in the race for women only, I wouldn’t have thought it was possible.Martin McHugh, Patsy McGonagle, Neil Martin, Pauric Carr, Patsy Doherty, James Boyle and Padraig McEnaneny pictured at the cheque presentation at the Finn Valley Centre. (Photo: Danny Nee)“But it’s a great success story and great credit to the Grace Boyle, Bridgeen Doherty and Rosemary Foy for the work they’ve done behind the scenes. Well done and keep the enthusiasm up. Repeating the success year on year and improving it year on year is the real challenge,” he commented. Race director, Grace Boyle, recalled the early days of the annual event.“Back then there were very few women running and we decided to put on a women’s only race in an effort to entice more women to get out and get active. When you go to a 5K now there are more women that men,” she said.“There was one case this year that really brought it home as to why we hold this event every year. A woman came to us who had suffered from cancer. When she was going through her treatment she wondered if she’d ever get back to walking a 5K again. She came along and did this year’s RunDonegal Women’s 5K and that was the success of the race this year. She was so proud of herself and we were so proud we could facilitate the likes of that woman,” she added.“We couldn’t be as successful without the professionalism of Neil Martin and Patsy McGonagle and we are so lucky to have them and Finn Valley on board with us. Every cent that came in for this race will go directly to the Brid Carr Fund. There wasn’t one cent spent on anything.“Our t-shirts were sponsored by Tim Kelly in London, our water was sponsored by Celtic Water and I even pulled in Isobelle Doherty from the Donegal Hospice to help with the numbers and the sponsorship of prizes. So everything was sponsored and that really is something. “We are delighted to be associated with ovarian cancer research and it is the way forward. We all know we have to get to the bottom of what’s going on and we have to get the cures.“We’re delighted to be associated with the Carr family and Rosemary, of course, is a very good friend of ours. I’d also like to thank Martin McHugh for organising the sponsorship of the water. Before I die there’s one thing I want to do and that is to get 1,000 entries for this event. I think we are getting there and I do believe next year is the year we will achieve that.”Thanking the various sponsors for their generosity and support, Rosemary Foy, a sister of the late Brid Carr, paid tribute to those who helped out on the day.She explained that the project being supported by the Brid Carr Fund was coming to an end in July, adding that consideration was being given to starting a new project. On behalf of the Carr family, Pauric Carr extended his gratitude to all involved with the RunDonegal 5K.Rosemary Foy, Bridgeen Doherty, Isobelle Doherty and Grace Boyle at the RunDonegal Women’s 5K cheque presentation at the Finn Valley Centre. (Photo: Danny Nee)Padraig McEnaneny, CEO of Celtic Water, congratulated the organisers of the event.“It’s a credit to all involved and hopefully it will inspire other people to get out there and raise money for vital causes,” he said.“I wish you all continued success and if you are looking for help next year, we’d be glad to support you,” he added.Next year’s RunDonegal 5K has been fixed for Sunday, April 5th.RunDonegal Women’s 5K raises €7,513 for Brid Carr Ovarian Cancer Research Fund was last modified: May 23rd, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:ChequeFundPresentationrundonegallast_img read more

first_imgCharlie Austin’s powerful header hauled QPR back into what was becoming an embarrassingly one-sided game at Molineux.Austin netted eight minutes before the break after being found by Matt Phillips’ superb cross from the left.The striker’s goal came after Benik Afobe and Kevin McDonald had scored to put Wolves in command.An unmarked Afobe netted from close range on 17 minutes after James Henry’s ball into the box was deflected towards him.Rangers had almost taken an early lead when on-loan Arsenal keeper Emiliano Martinez fumbled Massimo Luongo’s shot before gathering the ball at the second attempt.After Afobe’s opener, the wet conditions meant Martinez was also troubled by a shot from Tjaronn Chery.But Wolves were otherwise dominant and doubled their lead on 24 minutes when McDonald made the most of the time and space he was afforded by firing into the bottom corner from near the edge of the penalty area.Alejandro Faurlin, back after a third cruciate injury in as many years, returned to the QPR starting line-up.The popular Argentine and former Wolves man Karl Henry were overrun in midfield as the home side had things their own way before Phillips and Austin combined to give the visitors hope.QPR: Green, Perch, Onuoha, Hall, Konchesky, Phillips, Henry, Faurlin, Luongo, Chery, Austin.Subs: Lumley, Doughty, Hill, Hoilett, Gladwin, Polter, Emmanuel-Thomas.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

first_imgCrescent City >> The Arcata boys and girls basketball teams swept Del Norte for important Big 5 road victories.Arcata boys beat Del Norte in low-scoring affairIt doesn’t always have to be pretty to be effective.Depending on perspective, the Del Norte Warriors and Arcata Tigers either staged a battle for the ages or a battle for the aged in their Big 5 match-up at Thunen Gymnasium in Crescent City Wednesday evening. “I think we may have set the game of basketball back about 50 …last_img read more

first_img22 March 2005The Rand Show has been hailed as the most consistently successful consumer exhibition in Africa.The organisers reckon up to half a million people will turn up for this year’s event – running from 18 March to 3 April at the Expo Centre at Nasrec in the south of Johannesburg – and they’ve lined up a stunning range of entertainment and shopping opportunities for visitors.More than R20-million has been invested by Kagiso Exhibitions, the owners of the show, to stage this year’s event. It will boast the biggest and best line-up of chart-topping local musicians, a jam-packed exhibitor base and an awesome animal carnival. There is also the long-awaited return of A-grade show-jumping.On Saturday 2 April the showgrounds will thump to the township mixes of Brown Dash, MXO, Tokollo and Malaika and the hip-hop beats of Skwatta Kamp at the Metro FM Music Festival. It is one of the music year’s not-to-missed shows, and is on from 2pm until 8.30pm.Before the weekend is over, there is the YFM Youth Music Festival – on Sunday 3 April from 1pm. Among others, it will feature the popular kwaito sounds of Mandoza, Kabelo, Lebo, Hip Hop Panstula and the ever-popular Brothers of Peace. It ends at 8.30pm.Visitors will be spoiled for choice as more than 550 local and international exhibitors are displaying and selling their wares at the Rand Show’s exhibitor halls this year. Tomorrow’s Home, an exhibition of home furniture, electrical and decor products and leisure products, is being staged in Halls Six to Eight.The Global Trader’s Hall features exhibitions from around the world, in pavilions from India, Egypt, Syria, Iran and Pakistan, among other countries. Informal traders and crafters have set up camp at the Terrace.The SABC TV and Radio stall features competitions, shows and broadcasts, giving visitors an opportunity to sit in real TV or radio studios. Television presenters and radio DJs will also be at the show to meet and greet their fans.For something a little wilder, “Blunt” magazine has come to the party for the Rand Show Xtreme Street Sport Championships 2005, which will feature amateur and pro-challenge skateboarding, BMX riding, a Graffiti Art Challenge and the ASA Xtreme Stunt Shows, among other daring feats.For those who prefer their extreme sports a little safer, but no less thrilling, there is the 4×4 Experience, an advanced off-road track with mud beds, descents and ascents and the opportunity to drive in a 4×4 with an experienced driver.Animal lovers will have a ball at the Animal Carnival Pet Expo and Touch Farm, where they will be entertained and educated about responsible care and respect for all animals. For younger visitors there are talks about protecting animals, the environment and the preservation of our ecological heritage.To find out more about what’s on offer at this year’s Rand Show, visit the Rand Show website.Source: City of Johannesburglast_img read more

first_imgThe Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed a plea challenging the Allahabad High Court verdict rejecting a petition seeking direction to Uttar Pradesh Police to lodge an FIR against former Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav for his alleged order to open fire on ‘kar sewaks’ at Ayodhya in 1990. A Bench, comprising Justices Ashok Bhushan and K.M. Joseph, dismissed the plea on the ground of delay considering the fact that appeal has been filed against the May 3, 2016, order of the High Court. The plea had alleged that on October 30, 1990, several ‘kar sewaks’ were killed in police firing at the temple town when they were taking part in a “peaceful movement” for the construction of a Ram Temple there. The plea was filed by a Lucknow-based man, who had in 2014 approached a trial court for a direction to the police to lodge an FIR against Mr. Yadav, who was the Chief Minister of U.P. in 1990. He had alleged that the Samajwadi Party leader had given a statement in public meetings that he had ordered the police to fire on ‘kar sewaks’ to win the confidence of Muslims. The trial court had dismissed his plea after which he had moved the High Court challenging the order. In his appeal filed in the top court, the petitioner had claimed, “The High Court failed to appreciate that in a huge public gathering, Mulayam Singh Yadav, has confessed/ admitted that he ordered to fire guns on ‘kar sewaks’ and he further admitted in the second public meeting that if he did not order to fire on kar sewaks then the confidence of Muslims would be broken.”last_img read more