first_imgGoa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar will soon address a press conference to clear the air over the ongoing mining impasse, the Deputy Speaker of Assembly Michael Lobo said on Monday. “He is the right person because he is the Minister of Mines as well,” Mr. Lobo said,adding, “in the next two to three days he will address a press conference and tell whether it (mining) is going to happen or not.” Mr. Parrikar, who has advanced pancreatic cancer, has not made an official public appearance for more than two months. He has also not moved out of his private residence except for a brief visit to the Goa Medical College Hospital since October 14, his return from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. Reports from New Delhi indicate that the Mines and Minerals (Regulation and Development) Act, which mandates auctioning as the only route for allotment of iron ore mining leases, cannot be amended — as requested by the Goa government — to facilitate renewal of leases to existing holders. This has made the agitating mining dependents restless. Top Goa BJP leaders as well as some central leaders of the party have repeatedly assured the agitating mining dependent lobby in Goa, as also the mine owners, that the Central government would be amending the MMRD Act in the coming winter session of Parliament. Mr. Lobo who has been active on this front, also said it was necessary for Mr. Parrikar to communicate to the people of Goa about when and how he planned to resume mining.The Congress has beenattacking the government and accusing Mr. Parrikar as well as the BJP of trying to hide the fact that the Union Government had already rejected Mr. Parrikar’s request for amendment of MMRD Act. Mining in Goa was banned in February this year by the Supreme Court quashing second renewals of 88 mining leases, while also directing the State government to allot the leases afresh as per appropriate laws.last_img read more

first_imgLondon: Manchester City kept Premier League leaders Liverpool in their sights on Saturday after battling back to beat Chelsea as Jose Mourinho ended Tottenham’s away-day woes in his first game in charge.Leicester saw off Brighton 2-0 to stay in second place, eight points behind Jurgen Klopp’s men, while struggling Arsenal needed a stoppage-time goal to draw 2-2 with lowly Southampton. Liverpool’s hard-fought 2-1 win at Crystal Palace meant defending champions City went into their evening match against high-flying Chelsea 12 points behind the pacesetters.N’Golo Kante gave the visitors a deserved lead midway through the first half at the Etihad but City hit back with a deflected shot from Kevin De Bruyne and a trademark Riyad Mahrez strike to win 2-1.Pep Guardiola’s men were never entirely comfortable with a one-goal lead but their margin of victory could have been greater as Raheem Sterling found the bottom corner deep into stoppage time, only for VAR to rule the goal out for offside.City’s possession figure of 46.74 percent is the lowest recorded by a side managed by Pep Guardiola in any of his 381 top-flight matches in charge.”It was a top game against a top side,” Guardiola told Sky Sports. “Chelsea have been big quality for the past 20 years. When they went ahead in the best moments they had we scored through Kevin De Bruyne. Then we missed a lot of chances.”Guardiola sounded the alarm over all-time top-scorer Sergio Aguero, who limped off in the second half, saying he feared his injury could be “bad”. Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time. footballliverpoolmanchester cityPremier League First Published: November 24, 2019, 8:33 AM ISTlast_img read more

first_imgAtalanta 3 Everton 0: La Dea thrive on European return Matt Dorman Last updated 2 years ago 02:50 15/9/2017 Atalanta celebration - cropped Getty Images Atalanta netted three first-half goals to overwhelm Everton and make an impressive start to their Europe League campaign. Atalanta celebrated their first European match in 26 years with a comprehensive 3-0 home win over an outclassed Everton in the Europa League.The Serie A side ran riot in a dominant three-goal first half to set up an impressive victory in their debut match against English opposition.Absent from continental competition since the 1990-91 season, Atalanta looked right at home in their first Group E encounter as Andrea Masiello netted a deserved opener inside half an hour. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘I’m getting better’ – Can Man Utd flop Fred save his Old Trafford career? Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Gian Piero Gasperini’s side took full control late in the opening half as Alejandro Gomez and Bryan Cristante combined to put the result beyond doubt by half-time.And the hosts were rarely troubled after the restart as they took early leadership of the group, in the process extending Everton’s record of having never beaten Serie A opposition in Italy.The Toffees have now failed to score in their past three competitive fixtures and face a tough task to repeat their record of having always escaped the competition’s round-robin stage.When you score Atalanta’s first European goal in 26 years…Andrea Masiello  pic.twitter.com/uVcolZjrTm — UEFA Europa League (@EuropaLeague) September 14, 2017 Koeman started Maarten Stekelenburg in place of regular goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, but it was opposite number Etrit Berisha who had the busier start as he first palmed away a stinging Gylfi Sigurdsson strike, before Wayne Rooney dinked a delicate chip narrowly over the bar.Stekelenburg was soon called into action to smother a close-range chance for Masiello, although there was little he could do from the resultant corner as the marauding defender pounced on a favourable deflection to tuck away the opener.The chances continued to pile up for the hosts and they doubled their advantage in spectacular style before the break, skipper Gomez stepping in from the left and curling a sumptuous strike into the top-right corner from outside the area.And there was still time for Atalanta to make it 3-0 on the stroke of half-time as Andrea Petagna reeled in a ball over the top and found Cristante running unchecked through the middle for a simple low finish into the bottom-left corner.When you lead 3-0 in Europe!Atalanta  #UEL pic.twitter.com/2ytTrLx5x1 — UEFA Europa League (@EuropaLeague) September 14, 2017 Rooney drew a sharp low save from Berisha immediately after the restart as Everton attempted to make amends, though they were fortunate not to fall further behind when Gomez skied a good chance at the other end.Koeman responded with a double change 25 minutes from time, introducing Sandro Ramirez and Davy Klaassen in place of Rooney and Morgan Schneiderlin.However, the attacking intent did not yield the desired results as the visitors struggled to create any real openings in the final third and once again drew a blank, meaning they are now winless in five ahead of Sunday’s trip to Old Trafford. Atalanta will look build on their encouraging start in their next European assignment at Lyon, while Everton host Cypriot outfit Apollon Limassol. Key Opta stats: – English sides have lost 10 of their last 14 visits to Italy in European competition (W2 D2 L10).- Everton have now lost all four of their away games in Italy without scoring a single goal.- This is only the third time that an English club has lost their opening group stage game of a Europa League campaign. The other two were Birmingham City in 2011-12 & Manchester United in 2016-17 – the latter ended up winning the tournament.- The Toffees conceded three goals in the first half of this game – the first time that they have conceded three times before half-time in a competitive fixture since November 2016 (0-5 vs Chelsea).  read morelast_img read more

first_imgCelebrity Fight Night has announced that Academy Award winner Nicolas Cage will be honored with the “Andrea Bocelli Humanitarian Award” at the third annual “Celebrity Fight Night in Italy,” taking place September 7-13.The 7-day excursion will take philanthropic donors and special guests through Florence, Lajatico and Venice where they will be treated to the very best arts, entertainment and culture in the region. Funds raised benefit both the Andrea Bocelli Foundation and the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center. Celebrity Fight Night, a star-studded annual charity event, has raised $123 million for many charities throughout its 22-year history, most significantly for the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, AZ.More than 100 philanthropists will travel to Italy to participate in the “benefit trip” where Italian designer Stefano Ricci will help kick off the festivities in Florence on September 8. Stefano Ricci will guide guests through the Basilica di Santa Croce, also known as the Temple of the Italian Glories, where Italian greats such as Michelangelo and Galileo were laid to rest. After exploring the Cappella dei Pazzi, the evening will conclude in the Cloister of the Basilica with dinner and music, led by Andrea Bocelli.The following afternoon, guests will depart Florence on a scenic drive through Tuscany to Lajatico, the birthplace of Andrea Bocelli, where Andrea and Veronica Bocelli will welcome everyone for an unforgettable night with guest of honor Nicolas Cage, who will receive the “Andrea Bocelli Humanitarian Award.” The evening will include aperitifs at the magnificent Teatro del Silenzio, and a gourmet dinner at the country home of the Bocellis, with memorable entertainment by Grammy Award-winning artists, David Foster, Reba McEntire, Brooks & Dunn, Peter Cetera, Colbie Caillat and Bocelli himself. Additional guests expected to attend include Evander Holyfield, Melissa Peterman, and more. The next day, everyone will board a privately chartered train to Venice for an exciting day of exploration in one of the world’s most romantic cities. Lunch will be served at the stunning Palazzo Pisani Moretta, situated on the Grand Canal. After lunch, guests will enjoy a gondola ride to St. Mark’s Square for an aperitif on the Grand Canal, before returning to Florence.The pinnacle of this seven day experience is the featured gala on September 11, where guests will walk the red carpet in the historical Salone dei Cinquecento at the Palazzo Vecchio. This massive Romanesque fortress-palace is one of the most impressive town halls in all of Tuscany; and it will again open exceptionally to host the gala. Andrea Bocelli, along with the extraordinary Maggio Musicale Fiorentino under the direction of the great Maestro Zubin Mehta, will headline the evening. Lonnie Ali will be honored onstage for her incredible philanthropic achievements, having been a part of Celebrity Fight Night along with her late husband, Muhammad Ali, for nearly two decades.The event concludes with a special evening in the heart of Florence, starting at the Palazzo Spini Feroni, home to the Global Flagship Headquarters of Salvatore Ferragamo and the Museo Salvatore Ferragamo. The Ferragamo family themselves will welcome guests with a cocktail and a visit to the museum and the shop. From there, guests will be led to the nearby Palazzo Corsini for a night of dining and dancing.The seven day experience is sponsored by Stefano Ricci, GVM La Civiltà del Marmo, Peak6 Best Marble, Ermanno Scervino, Falconeri, Fratelli Piccini Firenze, Mikimoto, Jeep, Fregoli Luxury Bags, Salotti del Gusto, Excellence Magazine, and Euro-Toques.last_img read more