Earlier today Colombo Gazette reported that Muslims in Sri Lanka had written to the United Nations over the threats faced by them as a result of the recent campaign carried out by the Bodu Bala Sena.The Muslim Tamil National Alliance, in a letter sent to UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon, said that what’s disturbing is that radical members of the Buddhist clergy are allowed to take the law into their hands, with the enforcers of the law watching from the sidelines.“After the defeat of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Ealam, the Muslims of Sri Lanka have been looking at every opportunity to bring about national unity at a time when the country is in transition. We fail to understand the failure of the government of Sri Lanka in arresting the current trend which if left to go its course ,would spell disaster for the country we call our home,” the letter said. The military has had talks today with Muslim groups on the security concerns of Muslims over the situation which has developed following the Halal certification issue.The meeting comes a week after similar discussions were held between the military and the Bodu Bala Sena monks. The Muslim Tamil National Alliance, led by Muslim politician Azath Salley, urged the UN to draw the attention of the Government of Sri Lanka to international standards relevant to the protection and promotion of the rights of minorities. (Colombo Gazette) Meanwhile separately Ministers A.H.M Fowzie, Rauf Hakeem, Rishard Badurdeen and A.L.M Athulaulla met President Mahinda Rajapaksa after the Cabinet meeting this morning, the Navamani newspaper reported.The newspaper said in an online posting that the situation faced by Muslims in the country was discussed at the meeting. The military had assured the Muslims that they will be given full security and that any anti-Muslim campaign will not be encouraged. The Navamani newspaper reported that the Head of the Military Intelligence took part in the meeting today with the Muslim organizations.
Regional Chairman Genevieve AllenFollowing the termination of a contractual agreement between the Region 4 Executives and contractor; Navin and Sons, for the construction of a new health centre at Supply, East Bank Demerara, Chairwoman Genevieve Allen has revealed that bids for the project will be re-invited sometime early next year.Allen made this disclosure to INews on the sidelines of an event hosted at the National Cultural Centre earlier today (Wednesday).“Works are currently not in progress because we have realised that there were some substandard work that was done” Allen noted.“With the termination of the contractor it means therefore that the works will have to be advertised so that another contractor can begin works…so work is expected to recommence early next year,” Allen revealed.Asked whether or not legal action is an option at this point, against the contractor, the Chairperson noted that the contractor was already informed of what is required of him and the Region is working along to ensure he meets the necessary requirements.It was only recently reported in sections of the media that the contractor was ordered to repay the Region for its shoddy foundation works.Back in August, concerns over the quality of the work and the actions of the contractor resulted in a screeching halt of the project.The issue which came up at the Regional Democratic Council’s (RDC) monthly meeting was disclosed by the Regional Executive Officer, Pauline Lucas who revealed several unsavoury details about the project.According to the Region’s Public Relations Department, one of the details she revealed is that the contractor, Navin and Sons, was ordered by the Clerk of Works to cease casting the foundation of the centre.Earlier last month, the contractor was ordered to correct the inferior works. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedRegion 4 Capital Works not suspended; REO unaware of who sent statementAugust 17, 2015In “Business”Region 4 REO terminates Supply Health Centre contractDecember 1, 2018In “latest news”UK to invest over $830M to disaster proof 5 health care facilitiesApril 6, 2018In “Health”