first_img Organisation Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists IranMiddle East – North Africa News IranMiddle East – North Africa News June 9, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders has condemned the mistreatment in prison of cyberdissidents and webloggers after an Iranian committee report concluded that public confessions of two of them, Omid Memarian (photo right) and Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi (photo left), were obtained under duress.”We fear that the authorities are succeeding in purging the web of all critical content through brutality, intimidation and censorship,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said.”In a country in which weblogs and news sites have flourished in the past few years such a setback would be a catastrophe for freedom of expression.” Receive email alerts RSF_en March 18, 2021 Find out more Confirmation that Memarian and Mir Ebrahimi were mistreated after their arrests in November 2004, along with a group of other online journalist, was given on 4 January 2005 in a report from the committee for Monitoring the Implementation of the Constitution, on which both conservatives and reformists sit.Reporters Without Borders is particularly concerned about police threats against Omid Memarian, Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi and Shahram Rafihzadeh, and pointed out that weblogger Mojtaba Saminejad, along with online journalist, Javad Gholam Tamayomi, are still in prison.Reformist leader Ali Abtahi, a former vice-president of Iran, said that the monitoring committee, of which he is a member, had carried out an investigation into mistreatment in prison of journalists in the ‘Internet cases’. “We took evidence from these journalists who have told us that they have suffered torture in prison”, he said. The report was handed over to President Mohammad Khatami. The monitoring committee is a consultative body that has no legal authority.Ali Abtahi said on his weblog (http://www.webneveshteha.com) that the testimony of Omid Memarian and Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi “made committee members weep”.According to Reporters Without Borders’ sources, the seven journalist imprisoned between October and December 2004 have been beaten, humiliated and sometimes threatened with rape by their jailers. Most of them have been accused of moral crimes, that is having sexual relations outside of marriage, a pretext often used in Iran to attack political dissidents.Since leaving prison, police have summoned them several times a week. They also receive daily threats by phone. One police officer suggested to one of the journalists that he “watch out for cars, because a lot of pedestrians get run over in this country”.Javad Gholam Tamayomi, Omid Memarian, Shahram Rafihzadeh, Hanif Mazroi, Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi, Mahboubeh Abbasgholizadeh and Fereshteh Ghazi were all arrested, between October and November 2004 as part of a crackdown against the online press. All of them, apart from Javad Gholam Tamayomi, were released at the beginning of December.In an open letter and then at a 14 December press conference, Memarian and Mir Ebrahimi both said they had not been mistreated in detention. Reporters Without Borders dismissed their confessions as “phoney” since they had been made under pressure from the authorities (http://www.rsf.fr/article.php3?id_article=12090).Five webloggers were imprisoned during the same period (http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=11978). Only Mojtaba Saminejad who was arrested at the beginning of November for condemning the arrests of colleagues in his blog (http://man-namanam.blogspot.com) is still being held. center_img Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists News Reporters Without Borders has condemned the mistreatment in prison of online journalists and webloggers after an Iranian committee report concluded that public confessions of two of them, Omid Memarian and Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi, were obtained under duress. Weblogger Mojtaba Saminejad and online journalist Javad Gholam Tamayomi are still in prison. Follow the news on Iran January 6, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reporters Without Border condemns mistreatment of cyberjournalists and webloggers News to go further Help by sharing this information February 25, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

first_imgHR was behind success of Lloyds TSB mergerOn 24 Oct 2000 in Personnel Today Related posts:No related photos. Previous Article Next Article An entirely new set of terms and conditions was a key HR contribution to the success of the Lloyds TSB merger.Peter Chadwick, head of employee relations at Lloyds TSB, told the recent Involvement and Participation Association annual conference at Grantham that HR positioned itself close to the new management team during the merger to avoid being seen as “peripheral” to the process.He said, “When we suggested a new set of terms and conditions the executive practically fell over. They asked if we really thought it was practicable.”But Chadwick said HR pushed ahead with the move, believing it crucial to creating a forward-looking culture that would help the two organisations mould together. He said, “In eight months we went from researching, debating, and negotiating, to implementing it in January 1997.”It brought people together. They didn’t talk about what they used to do. They were part of a new set of terms and conditions.”Lloyds employed 69,000 staff at the time of the merger four years ago, compared to TSB’s 28,000. The merged organisation has 87,500 employees.Chadwick said around 12,000 jobs have been lost since 1996 but without any compulsory redundancies.Another potential difficulty was that each organisation had a distinct identity based on customers with different backgrounds.Although the Lloyds TSB brand was launched 15 months ago, Chadwick said he views it as a measure of the merger’s success that people often say they thought the name was introduced much earlier.Chadwick said the changing political environment four years ago and management’s determination to make the merger work influenced the decision to closely involve the unions. This, he said, had creating a working relationship that has continued.He added, “In comparison with the first few weeks there has been a real step change in union management relations. Union consultation is now a fundamental part of everyday life.”By Helen Rowe Comments are closed. last_img read more

first_imgHome » News » Agencies & People » Estate agent drops everything to work 15-hour shift helping flood victims previous nextAgencies & PeopleEstate agent drops everything to work 15-hour shift helping flood victimsWorcestershire estate agent Andrew Hipkiss is a member of the Severn Area Rescue Association which has been busy since Storm Dennis struck.Nigel Lewis18th February 20200480 Views A 52-year-old Worcestershire estate agent worked throughout Sunday afternoon and into the small hours of Monday morning to help those affected by flooding created by Storm Dennis.Andrew Hipkiss, who is a partner in 90-year-old family-run estate agency Walton & Hipkiss based in Hagley, near Stourbridge, has been a member of the local voluntary-based Severn Area Rescue Association (SARA) for three years.He was called out on Sunday afternoon at 3pm to take over from exhausted crews who had just finished a long shift helping with flooding in Tenbury Wells on the River Teme.The estate agent then worked a straight 15-hour shift before returning home at 6am to catch up with his sleep before returning to work yesterday.EvacuatedTenbury Wells is a market town near the Malvern Hills and has been particularly badly hit by floods; all of its 130 homes have been evacuated and much of the town centre has been under water.It has half a dozen estate agents but at least two, Fine & Country and McCartneys, are on a road that has been severely flooded in recent days.Andrew Hipkiss is a director of Walton & Hipkiss along with his brother Christopher. Their grandfather established the company in 1929 and although it now has three branches, the agency’s head office remains at its original site in Hagley.The SARA crews are all dedicated volunteers and like the RNLI they rely on donations from members of the public to continue providing their extensive search and rescue operation. Click here to donate.Read more about agents helping with floods.Severn Area Rescue Association Andrew Hipkiss Walton & Hipkiss February 18, 2020Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021last_img read more