first_imgWith only 7,500 cases in total and 104 deaths, Australia has been easing restrictions on movement, but a string of double-digit increases in cases in the second-most populous state, Victoria, led to a pause in the reopening there – and prompted shoppers to hoard.Now the pattern has spread nationwide.”We’ve regrettably started to see elevated demand for toilet roll move outside Victoria in the past 24 hours,” said Woolworths managing director of supermarkets, Claire Peters, in a statement.”While the demand is not at the same level as Victoria, we’re taking preventative action now to get ahead of any excessive buying this weekend,” she added. Australia’s supermarket chains on Friday reintroduced purchase limits on toilet paper and other household items as a spike in coronavirus cases in the state of Victoria set off a fresh round of panic-buying over fears of a new stay-at-home order.Woolworths Group Ltd and Coles Group Ltd, which together account for two-thirds of Australian grocery sales, said they were once again limiting purchases of toilet paper and paper towels to one or two packs per person after photos circulated on social media showing empty shelves in stores.The buying restrictions – and images of stripped shelves – are a reminder of Australia’s initial response to the arrival of COVID-19 when shoppers stockpiled household goods in anticipation of a protracted shutdown. The company had ordered an extra 650,000 additional packs of toilet paper, 30% over its usual amount.A Coles spokesman said the chain was restricting toilet paper and paper towel purchases to one pack per person nationwide, with Victoria-only limits on purchase of hand sanitizer, pasta, eggs, rice and other staples.Despite the Victoria spike, the prime minister and chief medical officer have said the virus remains under control in Australia and the country will continue with a plan to reopen the economy. center_img Topics :last_img read more

first_imgPittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (89) hauls in a pass while being covered by Detroit Lions free safety Louis Delmas (26) during the second half of an NFL football game in Pittsburgh, Sunday, Nov. 17, 2013. The Steelers won 37-27. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – The Carolina Panthers announced Thursday they’ve signed free agent wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery to a two-year contract, helping rebuild a depleted wide receiving corps.Financial terms of the deal were not released.Cotchery, 31, has spent 10 seasons in the NFL, the last three with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He had 46 receptions for 602 yards and a career-high 10 touchdown receptions in 2013.The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Cotchery has 437 receptions for 5,558 yards and 30 touchdowns during his career. He’s been primarily used as a No. 3 receiver in Pittsburgh, starting eight games in three seasons.Carolina was in need of help at receiver.They released veteran Steve Smith in a salary cap move last week, and Brandon LaFell, Ted Ginn Jr. and Domenik Hixon all left via free agency.___AP NFL website:last_img read more