first_imgNine sachets of suspected shabu valued at around P16,000 were seized from Angie Livoit, police said. ILOILO City – A 36-year-old man was arrested in a drug buy-bust operation in Barangay Crispin Salazar South, Janiuay, Iloilo. Aside from suspected shabu, a P3,000 marked money and drug paraphernalia were also recovered. Livoit – resident Barangay Abangay, Janiuay, Iloilo – was arrested after he sold a sachet of suspected illegal drugs to an undercover officer around 1 p.m. on July 4, a police report showed. Detained in the lockup cell of the Janiuay police station, Livoit faces charges for violation of Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002./PNlast_img read more

first_imgBrookville, IN —In the afternoon of Friday, July 3rd, Deputies with the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department, were called to S.R. 252, near Little Cedar Road, to the report of a motorcycle accident with injuries.It was determined that Hans C. Leffler,  57 of Hamilton, Ohio, was westbound on S.R 252, on a 2004 Harley Davidson motorcycle. Leffler told investigators that he lost control of his motorcycle on loose gravel in the roadway. Leffler traveled off of the north side of the roadway, striking an embankment and fence before the motorcycle came to rest on its side.Leffler was transported by Brookville E.M.S. #2, to McCullough Hyde Hospital in Oxford, Ohio, for treatment of minor injuries. Leffler was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.last_img read more

first_imgLiverpool managing director Ian Ayre expects the next step in the redevelopment of Anfield will be completed this summer. After announcing in October their intention to stay at their current ground the club have been working to buy up properties in the streets bordering the stadium. Until they have acquired all the relevant houses no planning application to extend the Main Stand and Anfield Road can be submitted but Ayre expects the first part to be completed in the next few months. “We are in an interesting period in terms of our aspirations around the stadium,” he said. “Our goal is to extend Anfield but we need certainty and that comes with the acquisition of properties. Real progress has been made in acquiring them. Once they have all been acquired we will go through the planning process. We would expect to be in a position to make that a certainty this summer. Once planning has been achieved then we can start construction.” An expanded stadium of 60,000 will boost matchday revenue and allow the Reds to close some of the financial ground on their rivals. And with new Financial Fair Play rules – a requirement of which is that clubs must break even over a three-year period to be involved in European competition – kicking in next season, Ayre believes that will help them further. “We are very supportive of FFP for a number of reasons,” he told the Liverpool Echo. “One is we believe you should only spend what you earn. We want there to be as level a playing field as possible. We are in a very fortunate position in that we generate some of the biggest revenues in football despite having not been as successful on the pitch as we would have liked in recent years. “We also have a huge fan base around the world. We’ve sold 100,000 tickets at the MCG in Australia this summer and there has been a similar demand for tickets for the other pre-season tour matches in Jakarta and Bangkok. That bodes well in an FFP environment. The real challenge for UEFA is to ensure the rules are applied correctly. “It’s only going to work effectively if there are sanctions for those who don’t abide by them.” Liverpool hope to finalise the signing of Celta Vigo forward Iago Aspas early next week when he is expected to fly in for a medical. The two clubs agreed a £7.7million fee a couple of weeks ago and despite the delay in concluding the deal – held up by Celta’s successful final-day Primera Division survival battle – the Reds are not concerned about the time being taken. Meanwhile, third-choice goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi has left Anfield to join Austrian side Red Bull Salzburg. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

first_imgNEW YORK – When Syracuse tight end Beckett Wales caught a deflected pass from Ryan Nassib for a touchdown in the third quarter to put the Orange up 19-7, Charlie Cornbrooks rose from his bleacher seat in Section 238.The play elicited a larger-than-normal reaction from Cornbrooks, who jumped on top of the bleacher and began to hug friends sitting next to him.For Cornbrooks, a senior economics major, the touchdown signaled that SU was likely to win the game.“It could’ve been intercepted, but instead, we went up two scores,” Cornbrooks said. “It was just such a fun moment, such a fun atmosphere.”The rest of the game drew plenty more celebrations from Cornbrooks and the SU student section, which filled Sections 235 through 239 of Yankee Stadium for Saturday’s Pinstripe Bowl matchup between Syracuse and West Virginia.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWith the Orange pulling away in the third quarter and going on to a 38-14 victory, Cornbrooks and other students danced, shouted and enjoyed the memory of SU’s second bowl win in three seasons.With the game being played in New York City, about four hours from Syracuse and close to many students who were home for Winter Break, student tickets sold out quickly to set the stage for the raucous student section on Saturday. Some nearby students made the day trip to Yankee Stadium, while others stayed with friends to make a weekend trip out of it.Cornbrooks lives less than an hour from the city in nearby Wilton, Conn., and accommodated three friends for the weekend — two buddies from Syracuse and a friend, Sean Battisti, who spent a semester at WVU last year.The SU-West Virginia rivalry made for good-natured trash talk during the game and throughout the weekend, Cornbrooks said.“When Sean showed up at my house on Friday, everyone booed,” Cornbrooks said. “Even my parents. It was great.”Although SU beat WVU the last two seasons, Battisti had a good feeling about the game due to quarterback Geno Smith and the Mountaineers’ potent passing attack. The morning of the game, Battisti boasted that West Virginia would score 80 points on the Orange defense.But after the SU defense made a few early stops and began to gain momentum, Battisti fell silent. His SU friends started to chide him, and he suddenly found the game hard to watch.“It was tough dealing with everyone who was messing with me,” Battisti said. “No way I ever thought we would get blown out. I guess that’s what I get for sitting in the Syracuse student section.”With the game beginning shortly after 3:15 p.m. and lasting until about 7 p.m., the event was essentially a daylong excursion for those who attended. Some made it truly an all-day affair and arrived at Yankee Stadium hours ahead to tailgate. A parking garage adjacent to the stadium was filled with SU and WVU fans alike by noon.Gatherings were mostly segregated by school, with tailgaters drinking beers and playing games like cornhole, but Syracuse fans were seen wandering over to West Virginia groups on occasion and vice versa.Some students even decided to join the garage-based festivities even though they didn’t drive to the game. One of these students was senior finance and supply chain management major Ryan McKenna, who rode the train in from Connecticut with friends and arrived at Yankee Stadium shortly after 11 a.m., carrying a sign encouraging Nassib to have a big game.“We got there early and wanted to just hang out,” McKenna said. “The best part of these games is almost the pregame experience. It’s like an outdoor party.”For McKenna, another enjoyable part of the game was its outdoor venue. With SU playing its home games inside the Carrier Dome, students don’t usually get a chance to brave the outdoor elements for a game.And the weather was in full force Saturday afternoon, with snow flurries and light winds making for a mild blizzard-like environment. With temperatures hovering at about 30 degrees, it wasn’t so cold as to be painful for most students. The snow added to the experience, McKenna said.“I love when I get to go to NFL games outside in the winter, and you can’t get that vibe at the Dome,” he said. “With us blowing them out, it was just fun feeling the snow and dancing around with everyone.”After the game, the SU team made its traditional march toward the band, which promptly cued up the Syracuse alma mater, as is custom, win or lose. Almost every student stayed, and many put their arms around one another, swaying to the music. For seniors, it was the final chance to enjoy the alma mater after a football game.Students left Yankee Stadium with smiles on their faces, happy to witness a 24-point-Syracuse win firsthand.And unlike many games in the past, no complaints could be heard.“Before the game, I wasn’t even sure that it would be too fun,” said senior finance and entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises major Kellie Milne, who made the day trip from her home north of Albany. “But I’m so happy I went.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on December 30, 2012 at 10:50 pm Contact Kevin: [email protected]last_img read more