first_img Organisation Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists IranMiddle East – North Africa News IranMiddle East – North Africa News June 9, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders has condemned the mistreatment in prison of cyberdissidents and webloggers after an Iranian committee report concluded that public confessions of two of them, Omid Memarian (photo right) and Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi (photo left), were obtained under duress.”We fear that the authorities are succeeding in purging the web of all critical content through brutality, intimidation and censorship,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said.”In a country in which weblogs and news sites have flourished in the past few years such a setback would be a catastrophe for freedom of expression.” Receive email alerts RSF_en March 18, 2021 Find out more Confirmation that Memarian and Mir Ebrahimi were mistreated after their arrests in November 2004, along with a group of other online journalist, was given on 4 January 2005 in a report from the committee for Monitoring the Implementation of the Constitution, on which both conservatives and reformists sit.Reporters Without Borders is particularly concerned about police threats against Omid Memarian, Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi and Shahram Rafihzadeh, and pointed out that weblogger Mojtaba Saminejad, along with online journalist, Javad Gholam Tamayomi, are still in prison.Reformist leader Ali Abtahi, a former vice-president of Iran, said that the monitoring committee, of which he is a member, had carried out an investigation into mistreatment in prison of journalists in the ‘Internet cases’. “We took evidence from these journalists who have told us that they have suffered torture in prison”, he said. The report was handed over to President Mohammad Khatami. The monitoring committee is a consultative body that has no legal authority.Ali Abtahi said on his weblog (http://www.webneveshteha.com) that the testimony of Omid Memarian and Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi “made committee members weep”.According to Reporters Without Borders’ sources, the seven journalist imprisoned between October and December 2004 have been beaten, humiliated and sometimes threatened with rape by their jailers. Most of them have been accused of moral crimes, that is having sexual relations outside of marriage, a pretext often used in Iran to attack political dissidents.Since leaving prison, police have summoned them several times a week. They also receive daily threats by phone. One police officer suggested to one of the journalists that he “watch out for cars, because a lot of pedestrians get run over in this country”.Javad Gholam Tamayomi, Omid Memarian, Shahram Rafihzadeh, Hanif Mazroi, Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi, Mahboubeh Abbasgholizadeh and Fereshteh Ghazi were all arrested, between October and November 2004 as part of a crackdown against the online press. All of them, apart from Javad Gholam Tamayomi, were released at the beginning of December.In an open letter and then at a 14 December press conference, Memarian and Mir Ebrahimi both said they had not been mistreated in detention. Reporters Without Borders dismissed their confessions as “phoney” since they had been made under pressure from the authorities (http://www.rsf.fr/article.php3?id_article=12090).Five webloggers were imprisoned during the same period (http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=11978). Only Mojtaba Saminejad who was arrested at the beginning of November for condemning the arrests of colleagues in his blog (http://man-namanam.blogspot.com) is still being held. center_img Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists News Reporters Without Borders has condemned the mistreatment in prison of online journalists and webloggers after an Iranian committee report concluded that public confessions of two of them, Omid Memarian and Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi, were obtained under duress. Weblogger Mojtaba Saminejad and online journalist Javad Gholam Tamayomi are still in prison. Follow the news on Iran January 6, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reporters Without Border condemns mistreatment of cyberjournalists and webloggers News to go further Help by sharing this information February 25, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

first_img News Organisation NigeriaAfrica Follow the news on Nigeria NigeriaAfrica Twitter blocked, journalism threatened in Nigeria January 28, 2021 Find out more June 10, 2021 Find out more News Receive email alerts Nigerian news site deliberately blocked, expert report confirmscenter_img News October 11, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 “Sedition” case dropped against one journalist, another case adjourned to go further RSF_en February 8, 2021 Find out more Nigerian investigative journalist forced to flee after massacre disclosures Help by sharing this information Sedition charges pending against Mike Gbenga Aruleba, presenter of a political broadcast on privately-owned African Independent Television, were dropped on 10 October 2006 after the prosecution and the judge, Bash Kawewumi, said that he had “shown enormous remorse”. The journalist however denied on leaving court that he had “apologised to anyone”.The trial of Rotimi Durojaiye, aeronautical correspondent on the privately-owned Daily Independent and Aruleba’s co-accused, had his case referred for hearing at the appeal court on 3 November.————————–29.06.2006 – Two journalists released on bail awaiting trial for “sedition”The federal high court in Abuja on 29 June 2006 ordered the release on bail of Rotimi Durojaiye, aeronautics correspondent of the privately-owned Daily Independent, and of Mike Gbenga Aruleba, presenter of a political programme on privately-owned Africa Independent Television (AIT).The trial of the two journalists on a charge of “sedition” under a law which several Nigerian jurists have called a “dead-letter” since 1983, has been fixed for 25 July.”We repeat our demand for the dropping of this case, which is not only illegal but groundless,” said Reporters Without Borders.———–27.06.2006 – Authorities arrest two leading journalists under obsolete lawReporters Without Borders today condemned the arbitrary arrests of Daily Independent reporter Rotimi Durojaiye and AIT television presenter Mike Gbenga Aruleba on 25 and 26 June on sedition charges under a law that was made obsolete by a 1983 appeal court ruling.“It is outrageous enough that the president’s office systematically uses the Nigerian intelligence services as a political police, but digging up an archaic law for use against journalists who just raised issues of public concern is the sneakiest kind of political dirty trick,” the press freedom organisation said.An article by Durojaiye headlined “Controversy Over Age, Cost of Presidential Jet” in the Daily Independent on 12 June raised questions about the manner in which a new plane had been acquired for President Olusegun Obasanjo.The story set off a storm in the Nigerian press and Aruleba referred to it the next day in his “Focus Nigeria” programme on AIT. State Security Services agents arrested him on 14 June because of his use in the programme of the pejorative word “tokunbo,” suggesting the supposedly new plane was in fact a second-hand one. He was released the following day on condition that he reported his movements to the authorities.The SSS arrested Durojaiye on 25 June and interrogated his editor, while Aruleba was re-arrested the next day after leaving Abuja for Lagos for work reasons. The two journalists were finally taken before a judge in Abuja yesterday and formally charged. A new hearing is scheduled for tomorrow.Nigerian legal experts say Durojaiye and Aruleba have been charged with sedition under a law that was rendered obsolete by an Enugu appeal court ruling in 1983. The privately-owned daily The Punch quoted lawyer Gani Fawehinmi as protesting angrily: “Sedition cannot be used against any Nigerian. It is a dead law.” West African Bar Association president Femi Falana asked in the same article: “What will the government gain from intimidating the press in a manner that is unconstitutional?”Nigeria’s privately-owned press thinks it incurred President Obasanjo’s wrath by supporting the opposition to a proposed constitutional amendment that would have let him run for a third term. The senate finally rejected the amendment in May, after weeks of stormy debate in the press and the national assembly. Reuters quoted AIT chairman Raymond Dokpesi as saying Aruleba was being targeted by the authorities because of the popularity of his programme, which played an important role in turning public opinion against the idea of a third term. Newslast_img read more

26 Jan / 2021

SMC dances for charity

first_imgThe eighth-annual Saint Mary’s Dance Marathon, a student-led fundraiser for Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis, raised an all-time high amount of funds at this year’s event. Committee members said Saturday’s event in the Angela Athletic Facility raised $104,374.83 for the Hospital. “Seeing the total reveal at the end was so exciting and unexpected,” Dance Marathon president Amy Tiberi said. Tiberi said she first became involved with the event in her high school and developed a passion that she wanted to carry over to her college experience. “I am from the Indianapolis area and was involved with Dance Marathon all throughout high school,” Tiberi said. “It was a very natural transition for me to be a part of the committee here at Saint Mary’s. I have had close friends treated at Riley Hospital, so there is that personal connection, but really just seeing how much this hospital positively affects lives is enough for me to want to be involved.” She said the committee hosts several fundraisers throughout the academic year, but the marathon is its most well-known campus fundraiser. “Each year we pick a theme for Dance Marathon and throughout the year we raise money through sponsors and local business support,” Tiberi said. “This year the theme was ‘Rock of Ages’ and we went in with the goal of raising $88,000.” Tiberi said the event gives students who are not on the committee the chance to fundraise for the cause. “I knew I couldn’t be a board member, but at the same time I wanted very much to be a part of this marathon because it is for such a great cause,” senior Gabriell Sabatini said. “I was able to sign up as a dancer and raise about $200 for the Riley Hospital”. This year the marathon featured music, dancing, games, crafts and other entertainment. Tiberi said she encouraged students from other area colleges to come, as well as members of the community. An estimated 300 people attended the event. Salon Rouge, a local salon, sponsored a table at the event giving away gift bags and offering services for a low price. “We are a small business in town and we want the community to know we are here to help,” manager Ann Malencia said. “We are not just here to make money. You never know the background of the person walking through the door of the salon and we want to show the community we are here to listen and we are here to help.” Tiberi said most participants’ favorite part of the marathon is when local Riley families come in and share their stories to the crowd. Gary Newcomb, whose child receives treatment at Riley, publicly shared the story of his daughter, Emily, for the first time. “About eight months ago, after a misdiagnosis from a local hospital, Emily had to be rushed to Riley Hospital where they found out her liver was very enlarged and tumors were on it,” Newcomb said. “A couple of months later we received a phone call saying Emily had fluid in her brain.” Newcomb said he and his wife “literally thought we were watching her [Emily] pass in front of us”. But after two brain surgeries, Newcomb said Emily is in the recovering process thanks to the compassion and care of the staff at Riley Hospital. “Her brain surgeries were right around Christmas time and we mentioned to the staff we were unable to get a family picture with Santa,” Newcomb said. “After Emily was out of her second surgery a nurse came and got us. One of the doctors, not even Emily’s, drove to his house to pick up a Santa costume and came back to the hospital so we could get our family picture. This is just one example of the compassion of the Riley staff.” Newcomb thanked the crowd and said Riley families hugely appreciate fundraising events like Dance Marathon. “Emily is easily over a million-dollar baby,” Newcomb said. “Without this type of monetary support we really don’t know what we would have done.” Mother Brooke Young also spoke about her son, Seth, and his experience with the hospital. “One minute we were packing for a family vacation to Texas and the next minute our world was turned upside down,” Young said. “We received a phone call from Seth’s doctor saying there were abnormalities in Seth’s bloodwork. He was admitted to Riley hospital and we were told our 12-year-old son has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.” Young said her family was “forced to endure a journey they never thought they would be taking”, but the hospital staff at Riley was there to throughout its duration. “We have developed loving relationships with the nursing staff at Riley hospital,” Young said. “They have become what we consider parts of our extended family.” Young ended her story by thanking the crowd and the Saint Mary’s organizers of Dance Marathon. “Know what you are doing is absolutely amazing,” Young said. “You are truly helping families. Never doubt the Riley staff. They are an army of amazing people and have a true compassion for the children they care for.” Tiberi said these are the stories and the people her committee works for. “It truly is a good cause,” Tiberi said. “I can’t wait to see the passion for Dance Marathon continue to pour out next year.”last_img read more