Hungary’s leading independent radio station taken off the air Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is appalled to learn that the Hungarian police have obstructed foreign media coverage of the refugee crisis on the border between Hungary and Serbia and, in particular, that they have on three occasions in the past week used force against foreign journalists.RSF condemns these unacceptable violations of media freedom and calls on the Hungarian authorities to guarantee the safety of media personnel. It also voices concern about the medical consequences for the journalists who were beaten and demands that those responsible are punished.“These incidents are intolerable,” Reporters Without Borders editor-in-chief Virginie Dangles said. “The Hungarian authorities must allow journalists to operate on the ground and they must prevent the police from engaging in threats and violence of this kind.“This disgraceful police behaviour is consistent with Hungary’s frequent violations of media freedom, especially since the adoption of draconian media laws in 2010 that have been condemned by Hungarian civil society and by international and inter-governmental organizations.”In a statement issued yesterday, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) urged Prime Minister Viktor Orban to ensure the safety of journalists covering the refugee crisis.The OSCE reported that Hungarian police attacked a Radio Television of Serbia crew consisting of cameraman Vladan Hadzi Mijailovic, sound engineer Miroslav Djurasinovic and reporter Jovana Djurovic at the Horgos border crossing between Hungary and Serbia on 16 September, injuring Djurovic’s handAlthough the crew had identified themselves as journalists, they were attacked while filming between a police cordon and a group of refugees.The OSCE said Jacek Tacik, a journalist with Poland’s public broadcaster TVP, was also beaten by the police on 16 September. After Hungarian doctors treated him for head injuries, he was briefly arrested for illegally crossing the border and, according to the Hungarian authorities, attacking a police officer.This incident took place when Tacik and other journalists were with a crowd of refugees who were being pushed back by the police.According to the OSCE, Associated Press cameraman Luca Muzi also reported that Hungarian police briefly detained him near the border town of Roszke on 12 September and made him delete the photos he had taken of a police dog threatening a Syrian refugee.Muzi said the police did not allow him to call his colleagues. The Hungarian authorities dispute his account of the incident.In yesterday’s statement, OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatovic called on the Hungarian prime minister to “instruct law enforcement to respect the rights of journalists to report on issues of public interest and ensure their safety.”Democratic standards have declined steadily in Hungary since Viktor Orban’s party, Fidesz, won the 2010 elections. Hungary is now ranked 65th out of 180 countries in the 2015 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index after falling 46 places in just four years. Follow the news on Hungary News Swedish Reporters Without Borders awards press freedom prize to a Hungarian news site RSF_en HungaryEurope – Central Asia June 2, 2021 Find out more September 18, 2015 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Hungarian police violence against foreign journalists covering refugee crisis Help by sharing this information News News Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU to go further Receive email alerts Organisation May 4, 2021 Find out more February 10, 2021 Find out more News HungaryEurope – Central Asia read more

first_img News Organisation NigeriaAfrica Follow the news on Nigeria NigeriaAfrica Twitter blocked, journalism threatened in Nigeria January 28, 2021 Find out more June 10, 2021 Find out more News Receive email alerts Nigerian news site deliberately blocked, expert report confirmscenter_img News October 11, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 “Sedition” case dropped against one journalist, another case adjourned to go further RSF_en February 8, 2021 Find out more Nigerian investigative journalist forced to flee after massacre disclosures Help by sharing this information Sedition charges pending against Mike Gbenga Aruleba, presenter of a political broadcast on privately-owned African Independent Television, were dropped on 10 October 2006 after the prosecution and the judge, Bash Kawewumi, said that he had “shown enormous remorse”. The journalist however denied on leaving court that he had “apologised to anyone”.The trial of Rotimi Durojaiye, aeronautical correspondent on the privately-owned Daily Independent and Aruleba’s co-accused, had his case referred for hearing at the appeal court on 3 November.————————–29.06.2006 – Two journalists released on bail awaiting trial for “sedition”The federal high court in Abuja on 29 June 2006 ordered the release on bail of Rotimi Durojaiye, aeronautics correspondent of the privately-owned Daily Independent, and of Mike Gbenga Aruleba, presenter of a political programme on privately-owned Africa Independent Television (AIT).The trial of the two journalists on a charge of “sedition” under a law which several Nigerian jurists have called a “dead-letter” since 1983, has been fixed for 25 July.”We repeat our demand for the dropping of this case, which is not only illegal but groundless,” said Reporters Without Borders.———–27.06.2006 – Authorities arrest two leading journalists under obsolete lawReporters Without Borders today condemned the arbitrary arrests of Daily Independent reporter Rotimi Durojaiye and AIT television presenter Mike Gbenga Aruleba on 25 and 26 June on sedition charges under a law that was made obsolete by a 1983 appeal court ruling.“It is outrageous enough that the president’s office systematically uses the Nigerian intelligence services as a political police, but digging up an archaic law for use against journalists who just raised issues of public concern is the sneakiest kind of political dirty trick,” the press freedom organisation said.An article by Durojaiye headlined “Controversy Over Age, Cost of Presidential Jet” in the Daily Independent on 12 June raised questions about the manner in which a new plane had been acquired for President Olusegun Obasanjo.The story set off a storm in the Nigerian press and Aruleba referred to it the next day in his “Focus Nigeria” programme on AIT. State Security Services agents arrested him on 14 June because of his use in the programme of the pejorative word “tokunbo,” suggesting the supposedly new plane was in fact a second-hand one. He was released the following day on condition that he reported his movements to the authorities.The SSS arrested Durojaiye on 25 June and interrogated his editor, while Aruleba was re-arrested the next day after leaving Abuja for Lagos for work reasons. The two journalists were finally taken before a judge in Abuja yesterday and formally charged. A new hearing is scheduled for tomorrow.Nigerian legal experts say Durojaiye and Aruleba have been charged with sedition under a law that was rendered obsolete by an Enugu appeal court ruling in 1983. The privately-owned daily The Punch quoted lawyer Gani Fawehinmi as protesting angrily: “Sedition cannot be used against any Nigerian. It is a dead law.” West African Bar Association president Femi Falana asked in the same article: “What will the government gain from intimidating the press in a manner that is unconstitutional?”Nigeria’s privately-owned press thinks it incurred President Obasanjo’s wrath by supporting the opposition to a proposed constitutional amendment that would have let him run for a third term. The senate finally rejected the amendment in May, after weeks of stormy debate in the press and the national assembly. Reuters quoted AIT chairman Raymond Dokpesi as saying Aruleba was being targeted by the authorities because of the popularity of his programme, which played an important role in turning public opinion against the idea of a third term. Newslast_img read more

first_imgRelatedPosts Kidnappers free Enyimba midfielder, Abia Comets player NPFL: Olisema shines as Enyimba tame Adamawa United Enyimba crash out CAF Confederation Cup Martins Usule scored on his first Nigeria Professional Football League start for Enyimba Football Club since December to pave the way for a 3-0 win against Sunshine Stars at the Enyimba Stadium on Sunday Usule’s twelfth-minute opener – a glancing header from Olisema’s corner – was the fitting start Fatai Osho’s men deserved after delivering an electric start that called the Sunshine goalkeeper, Olorunleke Ojo, into three saves in the opening nine minutes. The rampaging young winger, Anayo Iwuala, Stanley Dimgba and Usule had openings to widen Enyimba’s lead before the break but fell short as the People’s Elephant pinned the visitors to their half almost for the entirety of the first period. Enyimba’s second arrived 13 minutes into the restart when Dimgba received Olisema’s through ball to dribble past Ojo and fire into the top corner. With barely 60 seconds left in added time, Dare Olatunji tapped home the rebound from substitute Jean-Marie Guera’s strike to add glamour to a magnificent display by the eight-times champions. Up next for Enyimba is a midweek trip to Gombe to face bottom-placed Adamawa United in a Week 25 fixture.All the results for Sunday: Kwara United 1-0 Wikki Tourists Kano Pillars 2-0 Jigawa Golden Stars Heartland FC 2-0 Lobi Stars FC IfeanyiUbah 2-1 Dakkada FC Rangers International 1-0 Rivers United Warri Wolves 2-0 MFM FC Abia Warriors 2-1 Adamawa United Enyimba International 3-0 Sunshine Stars Katsina United 1-1 Akwa United Plateau United 2-1 Nasarawa United. —Tags: Dare OlatunjiEnyimba FCfatai oshoMartins UsuleStanley DimgbaSunshine Starslast_img read more