News Organisation NigeriaAfrica Follow the news on Nigeria NigeriaAfrica Twitter blocked, journalism threatened in Nigeria January 28, 2021 Find out more June 10, 2021 Find out more News Receive email alerts Nigerian news site deliberately blocked, expert report confirms News October 11, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 “Sedition” case dropped against one journalist, another case adjourned to go further RSF_en February 8, 2021 Find out more Nigerian investigative journalist forced to flee after massacre disclosures Help by sharing this information Sedition charges pending against Mike Gbenga Aruleba, presenter of a political broadcast on privately-owned African Independent Television, were dropped on 10 October 2006 after the prosecution and the judge, Bash Kawewumi, said that he had “shown enormous remorse”. The journalist however denied on leaving court that he had “apologised to anyone”.The trial of Rotimi Durojaiye, aeronautical correspondent on the privately-owned Daily Independent and Aruleba’s co-accused, had his case referred for hearing at the appeal court on 3 November.————————–29.06.2006 – Two journalists released on bail awaiting trial for “sedition”The federal high court in Abuja on 29 June 2006 ordered the release on bail of Rotimi Durojaiye, aeronautics correspondent of the privately-owned Daily Independent, and of Mike Gbenga Aruleba, presenter of a political programme on privately-owned Africa Independent Television (AIT).The trial of the two journalists on a charge of “sedition” under a law which several Nigerian jurists have called a “dead-letter” since 1983, has been fixed for 25 July.”We repeat our demand for the dropping of this case, which is not only illegal but groundless,” said Reporters Without Borders.———–27.06.2006 – Authorities arrest two leading journalists under obsolete lawReporters Without Borders today condemned the arbitrary arrests of Daily Independent reporter Rotimi Durojaiye and AIT television presenter Mike Gbenga Aruleba on 25 and 26 June on sedition charges under a law that was made obsolete by a 1983 appeal court ruling.“It is outrageous enough that the president’s office systematically uses the Nigerian intelligence services as a political police, but digging up an archaic law for use against journalists who just raised issues of public concern is the sneakiest kind of political dirty trick,” the press freedom organisation said.An article by Durojaiye headlined “Controversy Over Age, Cost of Presidential Jet” in the Daily Independent on 12 June raised questions about the manner in which a new plane had been acquired for President Olusegun Obasanjo.The story set off a storm in the Nigerian press and Aruleba referred to it the next day in his “Focus Nigeria” programme on AIT. State Security Services agents arrested him on 14 June because of his use in the programme of the pejorative word “tokunbo,” suggesting the supposedly new plane was in fact a second-hand one. He was released the following day on condition that he reported his movements to the authorities.The SSS arrested Durojaiye on 25 June and interrogated his editor, while Aruleba was re-arrested the next day after leaving Abuja for Lagos for work reasons. The two journalists were finally taken before a judge in Abuja yesterday and formally charged. A new hearing is scheduled for tomorrow.Nigerian legal experts say Durojaiye and Aruleba have been charged with sedition under a law that was rendered obsolete by an Enugu appeal court ruling in 1983. The privately-owned daily The Punch quoted lawyer Gani Fawehinmi as protesting angrily: “Sedition cannot be used against any Nigerian. It is a dead law.” West African Bar Association president Femi Falana asked in the same article: “What will the government gain from intimidating the press in a manner that is unconstitutional?”Nigeria’s privately-owned press thinks it incurred President Obasanjo’s wrath by supporting the opposition to a proposed constitutional amendment that would have let him run for a third term. The senate finally rejected the amendment in May, after weeks of stormy debate in the press and the national assembly. Reuters quoted AIT chairman Raymond Dokpesi as saying Aruleba was being targeted by the authorities because of the popularity of his programme, which played an important role in turning public opinion against the idea of a third term. News
The bypoll in three Assembly constituencies of western Uttar Pradesh saw a mixed response from the voters on Monday. While Gangoh clocked the highest turnout at 60%, Iglas (reserved) constituency in Aligarh district scored a poor 36.2% and Rampur Sadar saw a voting percentage of 44. Some villages of Iglas boycotted the election for a major part of the day, raising the slogan “vikas nahin, vote nahin” (no development, no vote). Local sources said villagers were asking for all-weather roads in their area.It was only after 3 p.m. that the voters turned up at the booths after repeated assurances from the administration and Hathras MP and former MLA Rajvir Singh Diler of the BJP. The seat got vacant after Mr. Diler was elected to the Lok Sabha.“There was no complete boycott in any of the villages but the voting percentage was very poor in Nawalpur, Kapoor Khera and Udambara villages of Iglas. We have noted their demands and the administration will work towards it,” said Anjani Kumar, Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Iglas. Unlike other constituencies, in Rampur, the BJP is the challenger as it tries to take on Tanzeen Fatima, Rajya Sabha member, and wife of Samajwadi Party heavyweight Azam Khan in Mr. Khan’s pocket borough. The bypoll was necessitated when Mr. Khan got elected to the Lok Sabha earlier this year after defeating his arch-rival Jaya Prada in a volatile contest. Local sources say the poor voting percentage will help the BJP candidate Bharat Bhushan Gupta. “Also, there is a section of Muslims who are voting for the BJP this time,” said Hasnat Ali Khan, a former Samajwadi Party member.Cong.-BJP contestIn Gangoh (Saharanpur), another constituency with a significant Muslim population along with a sizeable Dalit electorate, the contest seems to be between the BJP and the Congress. Here the BJP has fielded Kirat Singh, the general secretary of the local BJP unit against Nauman Masood, chairman of Gangoh Municipal Corporation and brother of firebrand Congress leader Imran Masood.Mr. Masood has a tough task as the BSP’s Mohd Irshad and SP’s Indrasen are expected to cut into Muslim, Jatav and Gujjar votes.
INDIANAPOLIS, IN – APRIL 03: Head coach John Calipari of the Kentucky Wildcats acknowledges the fans during practice for the NCAA Men’s Final Four at Lucas Oil Stadium on April 3, 2015 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)It turns out it isn’t just SEC football fans who are willing to go above and beyond to display their fanhood on a daily basis. Sunday night, a Kentucky hoops supporter named Gina Estep tweeted a photo of her friend, who is pregnant, showing just how much she’s into Wildcats basketball. The UK supporter has painted her stomach into a basketball and added two Kentucky logos. It’s [email protected] Thought you would enjoy this soon to be UK fan:) pic.twitter.com/DtOlhdpSal— Gina Estep (@Ginadawn1) February 16, 2015Score another win for Kentucky – the Wildcats are certainly going to add one more hardcore fan very soon. Props.
The team with the best chance of going undefeated this fall is not the team appearing No. 1 in most preseason polls. According to ESPN’s Football Power Index (the “best predictor of a team’s performance”), Oklahoma – not Alabama – is the team most-likely to go undefeated heading into bowl season. While the Crimson Tide are the likely preseason No. 1, it’s the Sooners with the best chance of reaching the College Football Playoff. Here’s the full top 10:Oklahoma – 16.9 percent chance of going undefeated before bowl seasonFlorida State – 10.6 percentClemson – 8.6 percentBoise State – 8 percentMichigan – 5.8 percentLSU – 5.3 percentTennessee – 4.5 percentOklahoma State – 2.4 percentWashington – 1.4 percentNotre Dame – 1.2 percentSome other notable percentages: Alabama – 0.6 percentOhio State – 0.4 percentNebraska – 0.4 percentMichigan State – 0.1 percentOle Miss – 0.1 percentYou can view ESPN’s full FPI here.
VANCOUVER, B.C. – The provincial government announced today that it will be reducing the maximum allowable rental rate increase, after announcing earlier this month that rents would have been permitted to increase by up to 4.5 percent next year.Municipal Affairs and Housing Minister Selina Robinson said that her Ministry will be taking action on a recommendation from B.C.’s Rental Housing Task Force by cutting the annual allowable rent increase by two percent, limiting it to inflation.The previous formula, which dates back to 2004, allowed annual rent increases of two percent plus inflation. That means that effective January 1, 2019, the annual allowable rent increase will be 2.5 percent.“It’s simply not sustainable for renters, many of whom are on fixed incomes, to see their rent increase by more than inflation each and every year,” said Premier John Horgan. “We have to eliminate the risk of such huge increases for renters. Our new approach strikes a balance between giving relief to renters while encouraging people to maintain their rental properties.”As a result of eliminating the additional two percent increase, renters paying $1,200 per month will save up to $288 next year over what they could have paid under the old formula.“We recognize supply is key to bringing down rental costs in the long term, but renters have told us they are hurting and need help today,” said Robinson. “That’s why we are taking careful steps to address the housing crisis and ease the pressure on renters, while also making sure that landlords have the tools they need to continue to invest in their rental properties.”The Residential Tenancy Branch will work closely with landlord advocacy groups on expanded circumstances under which landlords could apply for an additional rent increase to reflect the costs of maintaining their rental properties.
Kanpur/Hardoi: SP chief Akhilesh Yadav on Wednesday lashed out at the Congress over its big ego while continuing his attack on the BJP, suggesting that voters will walk away this time from the tea being offered by the chaiwala’ prime minister Narendra Modi.Mocking Modi at a public meeting in Hardoi, he said people voted for the ‘chaiwala’ in 2014. “As you know the taste of the tea now, will you vote for him again?” the Samajwadi Party president asked. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’He also called the prime minister a prachar mantri , or a publicity minister. At his Kanpur rally, Yadav sharpened his attack against the Congress, which has been kept out by the SP and the Bahujan Samaj Party from their alliance in Uttar Pradesh for the Lok Sabha elections. “Like the BJP, the Congress too believes in threatening political opponents,” he said. “We had an alliance with the Congress, but found that their ego is too big,” Yadav said. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KThe SP had an understanding with the Congress during the 2017 Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections. In the ongoing Lok Sabha elections, the alliance of the SP, the Bahujan Samaj Party and the Rashtriya Lok Dal has shunned it. However, the alliance decided not to field any candidate from Rae Bareli and Amethi, the bastions held by Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi. “The Congress is not stopping the BJP, it’s the SP-BSP alliance which is stopping the BJP,” the SP leader said. He accused the Congress of initiating a CBI probe against his father and SP patriarch Mulayam Singh Yadav when it was in power at the Centre. He claimed that a Congress activist was doing this even now. The apparent reference was to Vishwanath Chaturvedi’s attempt to revive an old case, alleging amassing of disproportionate assets by the Yadav family. Chaturvedi had sought a Supreme Court direction to the Central Bureau of Investigation to place the status report on a probe in the case against Mulayam Singh Yadav and his sons Akhilesh Yadav and Prateek Yadav.
Natural Resources Trust Fund proposal approved by Appropriations CommitteeState Rep. Sarah Lightner today voted to support a plan moving through the Michigan House that includes support for major outdoor recreation and natural resources projects in the region.The legislation approved today by the House Appropriations Committee includes $1.72 million to purchase land for a new state game area in Eaton County and $450,000 for Watkins Lake State Park in Jackson County.The Eaton County project involves buying 465 acres, including frontage on the Thornapple River. The property would be managed for pheasant, deer, turkey and waterfowl habitat.“This project is a fantastic way to improve public hunting, fishing and wildlife viewing opportunities in the area,” said Lightner, of Springport. “The region needs something like this since public areas for hunting and recreation are in great demand.”In Jackson County, the plan includes acquiring 123 acres to connect two sections of Watkins Lake State Park and County Preserve.“This is a unique opportunity that will allow the development of new nature trails and make Watkins Lake State Park an even better attraction,” said Lightner. “It’s a great spot to bird watch, take a relaxing walk and reconnect with nature.”The park – roughly 15 miles from Jackson and 25 miles from Ann Arbor – features a scenic lake, open meadows, mixed hardwoods and wetland areas. Another $60,600 is included in the plan to buy 23 acres in Washtenaw County’s Manchester Township for the project.Overall, the legislation approved by the House Appropriations Committee includes $26 million for more than 60 projects statewide. The money would come from the Natural Resources Trust Fund, which according to the Michigan constitution can only be used to support these types of projects.The projects were recommended by the Natural Resources Trust Fund Board in December. The recommendations are subject to approval by the Michigan Legislature, a process started with the committee’s approval of House Bill 4244.The legislation advances to the House floor for further consideration.Money in the Natural Resources Trust Fund comes from the development of minerals on state land and is designated on an annual basis in partnership with the state and local governments. 27Feb Reps. Lightner: Outdoor recreation plan in Michigan House includes support for projects in Eaton, Jackson counties Categories: Lightner News