Ryann Redmond View Comments LaChanze Related Shows Show Closed This production ended its run on March 22, 2015 Anthony Rapp Jenn Colella Star Files In addition to Menzel, If/Then stars Tony winner LaChanze, Anthony Rapp, James Snyder, Jerry Dixon, Jenn Colella, Jason Tam and Tamika Lawrence. The ensemble includes Joe Cassidy, Miguel Cervantes, Curtis Holbrook, Stephanie Klemons, Tyler McGee, Ryann Redmond, Joe Aaron Reid and Ann Sanders. Jason Tam If/Then Idina Menzel We haven’t seen her on Broadway since Wicked, but the wait is finally over. If/Then, starring Tony winner Idina Menzel, begins performances on March 5. Directed by Michael Greif, the new musical will open on March 30 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre. Featuring music, lyrics and book by Next to Normal team Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey, If/Then tells the story of Elizabeth (Menzel), a woman on the verge of turning 40 who returns to New York City to make a fresh start. If/Then premiered at the National Theatre in Washington, D.C. in November 2013. View All (6)
Adrian, returning from suspension, was impressive as he made a series of saves to deny Sergio Aguero, Jesus Navas, Yaya Toure, Raheem Sterling and Nicolas Otamendi while a number of other chances also went to waste. Winston Reid, one of West Ham’s hard-working back line, said: “We’re very happy and very tired. “When you come to these places you need to work both ways (in defence and attack). We did that and got a very important win. “We had confidence from our last two away performances but it is always going to be tough when you come to this place because they are so good on the ball, and when they lose the ball they try to win it back again very quickly. “We broke in numbers when we could and when we didn’t we sat back and defended properly as a whole unit, not only the defenders but the midfielders and Diafra up top. “At times they had five and six up there but you need to be very disciplined and strong. They have spent a lot of money here and have some really talented players. To come away with the result is really good.” Manchester City were left to rue their luck after suffering their first setback of the season at the hands of West Ham. The Barclays Premier League leaders lost their 100 per cent record as they were beaten 2-1 by the Hammers at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday. City rallied strongly – after Kevin de Bruyne replied to early strikes from Victor Moses and Diafra Sakho with his first goal for the club – but were unable to turn the game around. Press Association Manuel Pellegrini’s expensively-assembled side created a series of chances in the second half but West Ham, and particularly goalkeeper Adrian, would not yield. It was another notable away scalp for the London side under their new boss Slaven Bilic having already won at Arsenal and Liverpool. They now have 12 points from their six games, just three behind a City side that threatened to sweep all before them in their powerful start to the campaign. “I don’t think we played a bad game,” said De Bruyne, who had been making his first start for City since his £54million club record move from Wolfsburg last month. “Obviously we didn’t start well with the two goals against us but they were almost the only two chances they got. “With the goal we scored before half-time everybody had the feeling we could change the game. In the second half we put a lot of pressure on West Ham but we didn’t find the net.” City were stunned after six minutes as Moses struck – his first goal since joining the Hammers on loan from Chelsea – with a fine shot from outside the box. Questions were asked of City’s defence, which was missing captain Vincent Kompany for the first time this season, and there were further problems as Sakho snatched a second in a goalmouth scramble following a corner. De Bruyne, City’s best player, sparked hope of a revival with a well-taken goal just before the interval but the hosts, without the injured David Silva, could not make any more of their 27 shots count on the scoreboard.
Published on October 22, 2016 at 3:53 pm Contact Byron: [email protected] [View the story “Storify: Syracuse community reacts to 28-20 win over Boston College ” on Storify] Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
Cooper has not been a full participant in practice since he left the team’s Aug. 3 workout early with discomfort in his foot. He told reporters he’s done some running of late but nothing at full speed. Even if he doesn’t make it back on the field, Cooper isn’t too concerned.”I’m not worried about it at all, because I know if it does linger it doesn’t matter,” Cooper told reporters Tuesday. “I had 1,000 yards on plantar fasciitis. I’m not really worried.” Related News Dallas fans will have to wait until next month’s regular-season opener to see Amari Cooper back in action.The Cowboys wide receiver is dealing with plantar fasciitis in the heel of his left foot but is optimistic he’ll be able to resume practice at full strength this week. Redskins in ‘no rush’ to name starting quarterback, Jay Gruden says Jerry Jones addresses ‘Zeke who?’ comment: ‘I’ve earned the right to joke with’ him “A lot of stretching and treatment, not a big deal,” Cooper said.When asked if he could still be effective if he had to play with it in September, Cooper replied, “Real effective. I mean I played with a lot of foot injuries. High ankle sprains. All those things, so I’m pretty good at playing with foot injuries. But I don’t think I’m going to have to play with it.”Cooper, 25, had 725 receiving yards for six touchdowns in nine games for Dallas after being traded from Oakland last October.
Zurich, Switzerland | AFP | FIFA president Gianni Infantino on Friday said that “no match” is worth “risking a single human life” and that world football’s governing body would be able to help financially national federations during the coronavirus pandemic.The majority of top football leagues and international competitions have been suspended due to the COVID-19 outbreak.Infantino insisted that games would not resume until it was safe.“Our first priority, our principle, the one we will use for our competitions and encourage everyone to follow is that health comes first,” he said in a video message.“I cannot stress this enough. No match, no competition, no league is worth risking a single human life.”The German Bundesliga reportedly could restart behind closed doors in May, with players already back in training, while other leagues could also resume in the summer.“It would be more than irresponsible to force competitions to resume if things are not 100% safe,” added Infantino. “If we have to wait a little longer we must do so. It’s better to wait a little bit longer than to take any risks.”Infantino said that national football associations which are struggling financially would receive help from FIFA’s emergency relief fund.FIFA last week postponed all international matches scheduled for June.“We are today in a very strong financial situation,” Infantino said.“But our reserves are not FIFA’s money. It is football’s money. So when football is in need, we must think what we can do to help… It is our responsibility and our duty.” FIFA president Gianni Infantino Share on: WhatsApp
by Jim LitkeAP Sports Columnist (AP)—The calls that every agent with a kid in the draft dreads most are about money.“The first call is always about taxes,” longtime NFL agent Ralph Cindrich said a while back. “So few of these guys have had after-school jobs that they see their first paycheck and demand to know where the rest of the money went.”That won’t be a problem with Ndamukong Suh. NDAMUKONG SUH It’s not just that the projected top-three pick come April 22 is smart and sophisticated, qualities that Suh displayed again during an appearance last week on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.” Smart enough, anyway, that he’s lined up his first charitable donation even before he’s seen a single paycheck.At a time when most guys in his position would be out pricing a Bentley, the 23-year-old defensive tackle just pledged $2.6 million to his alma mater. It was the largest single gift ever by a Nebraska football player, among the largest-known contributions ever by an active pro athlete to his alma mater, and unprecedented for someone who hasn’t yet signed a contract.“I didn’t feel like I had to, but I definitely wanted to give back to the university that gave me so much,” Suh said when the donation was announced, just before Nebraska’s Red-White spring game kicked off.Pro athletes donate plenty to charities, but for reasons that university fundraising officers don’t completely understand, they give only so much to old State U.There are exceptions, to be sure: Denver Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony recently gave $3 million to fund construction of a basketball facility at Syracuse; and Steve Smith, who collected a few sportsmanship and citizenship awards during 15 seasons in the NBA, donated $2.5 million to help build a student-athlete center on the Michigan State campus that bears his mother’s name.Veteran agents like Cindrich and Nashville, Tenn.-based Brian Parker routinely encourage clients to donate, as much to build relationships in the communities where they work or live as to take advantage of potential tax breaks. Even so, Parker was heartened to see a draft pick who’s that far out in front of the process.“It’s encouraging for a lot of reasons,” he said, “but it’s definitely not the norm. The best way to sell a player to a general manager is to be able to say he’s got it all—height, weight, speed, character, consistency and smarts. Everything I’ve read about Suh suggests he’s one of those.”The job of selling Suh belongs to agent Roosevelt Barnes, and it’s likely to be an easy one. The most recent comparable example was LSU defender Tyson Jackson, who went to Kansas City with the third overall pick in 2009 and has a six-year deal with $31 million guaranteed. And keep in mind that Jackson wasn’t nearly as decorated as Suh—a Heisman finalist and winner of the Outland, Bednarik, Nagurski and Associated Press Player of the Year awards last season.Then again, predicting any player’s future is always risky, even for someone like Suh, who came into the NFL scouting combine at 6-7 and 305 pounds and not only did every drill—something top picks often avoid—but nailed each one. He bench-pressed 225 pounds 32 times, ran 40 yards in 4.98 seconds and soared 35-1/2 inches in the vertical jump, the best for any defensive tackle since 2000.Yet scouts find his backstory just as compelling. It’s one reason why he’s been trailed by a camera crew for an NFL Network documentary the past few weeks. His mother, Bernadette, is a schoolteacher from Jamaica who required her son to post a 3.0 grade-point average before he could play football. His father, Michael, was born in Cameroon and became a mechanical engineer after moving to Portland.Suh graduated from Nebraska with a degree in construction management from the College of Engineering, to which $600,000 of his total pledge will go to endow a scholarship. The other $2 million will fund a renovation of the Cornhuskers’ strength and conditioning center, where Suh put in long hours.“He was one of the strongest guys I’ve ever seen on the field,” Nebraska defensive coordinator Carl Pelini told ESPN.com recently. He has great explosion, and despite all that, he moves like a basketball player. He’s really smooth.”And if nothing else, Suh’s donation should see to it that he won’t be the last guy from Nebraska to fit the description.(Jim Litke is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press.)